Featured Post

Pinned Post, A Policy Note:

I have made a decision to keep this blog virus free from this point forward, at least until the smoke clears. This is not a judgement about ...

Friday, September 6, 2013

ToP Strikes Again

The Online Photographer doesn't always overlap much with things I like to write about, but from time to time Mike really writes something that I wish I'd written. This post is definitely one of those.

I will add to what Mike wrote, to point out that what really has meaning, what the piece is, if you will, is the photograph plus some text. The caption, the title, or both. Any combination creates a piece with real depth. Without any text at all, the picture is, while slightly enigmatic, not much of a picture.

This is a truly stellar example of how attached text can violently alter our perception of picture, or a piece of art. In this case, the alteration is a complete transformation from bland to powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment